Monday, January 09, 2006

Compromise

On December 16 I graduated with my bachelor degree. I was so excited because I was finally able to get a REAL job. For years I have been working construction and now I finally would be able to do something that earned money that allowed me to use my mind instead of my brawn. My first prospects were promising. I received a phone call out of the blue from the College of Massage Therapy, they wanted me to teach pathology for one semester. I graciously accepted as they offered me $25 per hour to do this. But this job didn't start until Jan. 26 which left me with about a month of nothing. Also the job was only the one class Tuesdays and Thursdays. This would not be enough to sustain my family through the eight months until I start grad school.

So I began my search for a job to fill the rest of my time. First, I wanted to find something in my field so I gave a resume to every Physical Therapist with in a thirty mile radius. After a week of canvassing for reality hit me that I would not be able to find work. So I began buying the new paper, responding to the ads. Nothing. I began asking every person I saw if they knew someone hiring. Finally, I went to an old friend that owns a siding / roofing company. Prior to this I had made a goal that I was not going to do construction again. I had had enough of it. I had enough of bosses belittling me, crude coworker, bitter elements, and life threatening work conditions.

Two summer ago I nearly died when I fell from a 30 foot building. I only reason I lived is that 15 feet from the ground my hammer, in my tool belt, caught on the ladder somehow, stopping me from landing on the scaffolding below. In addition to the fall I can't even count the number of stitches I have received from being cut by razor sharp metal. (I erected steal buildings)

Anyways, I am back in construction. My friend wants me to be one of his foremen, which is a good thing, but I was hoping that I would never have to do this again. Working in the freezing cold does not sound good to me right now. At least it has warmed up, it is only 15 Degrees Fahrenheit. A month ago the temperature was negative 15.

So I am feeling a little defeated right now. I have had a lot of pressure to take what ever job I can get because we have a lot of bills and only a little money. I wish that I could afford to hold out for a phlebotomy position that is available at the Plasma Center. They are supposed to call me next week to set up an interview. But I can't wait that long. So I took the job doing construction and start tomorrow. I guess I will make the best of it, at least in a few weeks I will be the foreman of my own crew and get to work for Russell. He is the greatest guy I know.

1 Comments:

Blogger Charlotte said...

So much for your copacetic life, eh? I'm sorry.

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home